Caroline A Raine

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 33. The Week of the Royal Wedding Dawns

I don't know how far-reaching the Royal Wedding Fever is. We are SO excited about the wedding on Friday. I run a Literacy board at school. Last term I created a collage of Afro-American literature using magnificent illustrations from a Brer Rabbit book I have - so fascinating to trace the line from American traditional fable back along the slave route to Africa. The rabbit traditionally has his roots in African folklore as a mischief maker and is always cleverer and tricksier than both Man and beast. I just love puzzles like that - finding the origins of literary matters - such as Why is the Mad Hatter "mad"? and the origins of our language in words eg "window" and "daisy". But I digress...

To coincide with this month's Royal Wedding, I have created a British Classics collage interspersed with photos of the Diana/Charles wedding and the publicity shots of Kate and William. The more I was looking for examples of British young children's literature, the more I found I was going to have to leave off the board for sheer lack of space. These are some of the samples that made it onto the board alongside the Royals. Feel free to add your favourite favourite:


  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Enid Blyton (both examples of the series' and Noddy)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Harry Potter (of course)
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • Paddington
  • Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Railway Children
  • The Sword in the Stone (the quintessential children's Arthurian introduction)
  • The Hobbit 

No comments: