Caroline A Raine

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Edward Beaton and the Star in the Glass

Day 1. 

We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving. And we all have some power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing.
- Louisa May Alcott

...so this story that was growing inside me since I was about 16 years old, finally got written. I stumbled upon the Chicken House Competition 2 years ago. In all my innocence I sat down and started my book. I wrote furiously for three months. I have edited it a few times over now switching between a Euro-centric and African ethic.... "Edward Beaton and the Star in the Glass" has not found a home in any local South African publishing house. It is after all modelled on traditional fantasy genres. Then, I stumbled upon the self-publishing concept through   www.amazon.com and so rather than have the manuscript gather foxing effects, I submitted it. Then rather temptingly the ABNA  competition popped up and I thought "why not?" submitted it and got on with my life, and making fudge, and planting Sweet Peas and fields of Basil in my back garden. Then I was alerted to the fact that I had made it through to the quarter final and am one of 250 Hopefuls looking to make it into the semi-finals. 

I have a month to wait, to find out whether or not Edward Beaton and the Star in the Glass has met with empathetic reading eyes and connected with a judge or two who recognise its authenticity. So this is a "Diary of a Children's Fantasy Novel Waiting For An Audience Of Divine Young Readers". 


2 comments:

Christine said...

So very exciting. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, you're one of the many good writers I know....